21. Changing the world:
Not my responsibility. Or is it? Part 2
Remind the children that in the last session they debated goals for making a sustainable world.
In this session they will consider what they have learnt so far and how this might influence everyday choices they make about the world around them.
Show this clip to get children thinking about the world around them:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o [YouTube: “Human Mammal, Human Hunter – Attenborough – Life of Mammals – BBC”]
Ask the children to respond to such questions as:
- What do humans need?
- What do humans want?
- How do the lives of those you see in the film clip compare to yours?
- Are your priorities the same or different?
Tell the children that they are going to debate their ideas by playing The Environment Game.
This game could be played in pairs or groups. Children need the game grid below and a four-sided dice – first throw for a horizontal number and second throw for a vertical number. [Just throw again if you only have 6 sided regular dice and a 5 or 6 is thrown.]
Once dice have been rolled to select the topic, each child has to give two different reasons for or against the argument in the box.
Their partner then gives a counter argument. Encourage them to continue until someone cannot think of a valid argument or until all topics have been covered.
Remind the children to give valid arguments and reasons to back up their decisions.
You may wish to encourage them to use facts or opinions explored in the previous session.
Ask the children to say whether there is one argument they think is more important to take action on than any other, and to give their reasons.
Christian Scripture states: The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. (Genesis 2:15 NIV)
Ask the children to offer some final reflections on such questions as:
- Where is your Garden of Eden?
- What can you do to make it a special place for generations to come?
- What actions might make the biggest difference?
PRIMARY SESSIONS: LIST OF TOPICS
Sessions for 7 – 11 year olds
9. Why ask questions?
10. Making your mind up
11. What does it mean to be wise?
12. The Wisdom of Solomon Part 1
13. The Wisdom of Solomon Part 2
14. What can we learn from a miracle?
15. When the going gets tough
16. What is a ‘bad’ life?
17. Choosing poverty
18. What should be free?
19. What is a good society?
20. Changing the world Part 1
21. Changing the world Part 2
22. Coping with bereavement Part 1
23. Coping with bereavement Part 2
24. Infectious kindness
26. What are the rights of the child?
27. Do you believe in human rights?
28. Stereotyping Part 1 – Places
29. Stereotyping Part 2 – People
30. Why are the arts important?
31. What do we see in art?
32. Identity and personality
33. Is it good to be different?
34. We are what we do
35. Human Top Trumps
36. Zavadovski Island
37. Why are some drugs illegal?
38. Health care
39. Good News Newspaper Part 1
40. Good News Newspaper Part 2
41. Greek Gods, Godesses, War & Peace
42. Hindu Deities
© Sea of Faith 2018
Sea of Faith is a Registered Charity no: 1113177